Osteochondrosis is called degenerative changes in the articular cartilage. If we present this process in a few words, then the soft "spacer" between the bones becomes thinner and ceases to fully fulfill the functions of a shock absorber assigned to it. As a result of pinching of nerve endings, pain occurs, mobility is impaired. The process extends to the surrounding muscles, affects the internal organs.
Therapeutic treatment of osteochondrosis at home is aimed at alleviating the patient's condition and returning him to an active life. Let's take a look at the popular and available methods to help you get rid of the attack and avoid recurrence.
Causes of the disease
Doctors joke that the deformity of the spine is humanity's price to pay for the ability to walk upright. There is, of course, some truth in this ironic statement, but most often the patient himself is the real culprit. The most common causes of osteochondrosis: sedentary lifestyle, excess weight, stress.
The hobby for alcoholic beverages and smoking also contributes. Nicotine makes bones fragile, inhibits the synthesis of collagen, which is responsible for the elasticity of cartilage tissue. Alcohol causes dehydration of tissues, promotes leaching of calcium. No less harmful is a passion for strict diets that limit the intake of minerals and vitamins.
The factor of heredity and age-related changes play a significant role in the development of osteochondrosis. In addition, flat feet, wearing high-heeled shoes, contribute to the development of pathology.
Those whose work is stressful are at risk of developing the disease. These are builders, waiters, movers. However, representatives of sedentary professions suffer from osteochondrosis no less often.
Osteochondrosis of the spine often worsens after doing housework or gardening, increased physical exertion, hypothermia. In such cases, the first priority is to get rid of strong pain sensations that interfere with normal movement.
One way to quickly stop an attack is to take medications (analgesics) or injections to relieve pain. After the acute pain has receded, other methods of treating osteochondrosis of the spine can be applied. At home therapy includes:
- taking medications of various groups;
- warming up and rubbing;
- massage and self-massage.
Medical treatment of spinal osteochondrosis at home is carried out with the use of various gels and ointments. The procedure improves blood circulation, relaxes tense muscles, and relieves inflammation. There are a number of special drugs on the pharmaceutical market that can be used to relieve pain symptoms in osteochondrosis.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs relieve primary symptoms. To restore the worn out intervertebral discs, it is necessary to use chondroprotectors.
Chondroprotectors are aimed at stimulating the formation of inter-articular fluid and restoring the structure of the cartilage.
Treating osteochondrosis on your own at home can be quite effective.
However, you should not use advice without consulting a specialized specialist. It is also necessary to conduct an examination to confirm the correct diagnosis.
As a rule, folk methods of treating osteochondrosis are based on the use of plant or animal raw materials, bee products, and chemicals. The latter include ethyl alcohol, kerosene, turpentine. These liquids are used to make medicated compress, tinctures or ointments.
Easy to prepare at home, the solution helps to stop pain attacks during an exacerbation of osteochondrosis. To prepare it you need:
- Alcohol or vodka 1. 5 cups.
- Iodine solution 2 tsp.
- Camphor 2 tbsp. spoons.
Mix liquid components, shake. Use as needed, but no more than twice a day. It is important to keep the lower back warm after rubbing.
Treatment of osteochondrosis with folk remedies also includes water procedures. Coniferous baths will help relieve muscle tension and calm the nervous system. Medicinal raw materials can be prepared independently or a ready-made extract can be purchased. For the first method, you will need cones and branches of spruce, pine or fir, which are first boiled for half an hour, and then insisted for a day. To prepare a bath, you need to add a glass of infusion or 50 grams of ready-made dry extract to water at a temperature of 37–39 degrees.
In the treatment of diseases of the musculoskeletal system at home, turpentine emulsion is often used. The composition includes the following ingredients:
- white emulsion 550 grams;
- purified water 0. 5 liters;
- salicylic acid 75 grams;
- soap shavings 30 grams.
Heat water to a boil, dissolve soap in it, add salicylic acid and mix with turpentine. Pour the prepared mixture into a bath at about 40 ° C.
The duration of the procedure is about half an hour. The temperature must be constant; for this, hot water must be periodically added to the bath. Duration of treatment is 5-7 days. Doctors do not recommend taking baths during an exacerbation of osteochondrosis, accompanied by severe pain.
You can also treat osteochondrosis at home with dry heat. For such a procedure, buckwheat or salt is used, the products are preheated in a pan. Having laid out the hot mass on a clean piece of cloth, the application is applied to the lower back, insulated with a blanket and left to cool. Warming up is performed in two or three steps, about 45 minutes.
Despite the fact that all folk remedies are based on natural ingredients, they cannot be called absolutely safe. Do not forget about individual intolerance. Obviously, turpentine or kerosene is not suitable for people with sensitive skin.
Non-traditional treatment of osteochondrosis at home is not complete without prescriptions for herbal medicine. And they are as follows:
- For compresses, you can use a herbal mixture made up of St. John's wort, dandelion roots and burdock leaves. Dried, crushed raw materials (20 grams each) are poured with boiling water, insisted in a closed vessel and a piece of fabric folded in several layers is impregnated with a cold solution. Apply the compress to the sore spot for 20-30 minutes.
- Mint and sage in equal proportions, pour over water and boil for 10 minutes. The broth is taken orally twice a day for half a glass or applied to the site of osteochondrosis localization in the form of a compress. For preparation, take 3 tablespoons of crushed raw materials per liter of water.
- The flowers of the mother-and-stepmother are poured with ammonia 4%, insisted for 30 days in the dark. It is used as a rub to relieve pain and swelling during exacerbation of osteochondrosis.
Massage and self-massage
The traditional way of treatment - massage - will help to get rid of osteochondrosis. Thanks to this procedure, the muscles of the neck and the entire shoulder girdle are completely relaxed. It is also important that a properly done massage helps to eliminate pain and improve metabolic processes. At the same time, the patient's blood pressure also returns to normal.
It is possible to treat osteochondrosis at home in this way only if there is a good masseur who knows all the subtleties of this procedure. But self-massage can be a good substitute. The methodology for its implementation is studied and mastered quite simply. In order not to harm yourself, you need to know a few simple rules:
- Proper self-massage for osteochondrosis should be performed exclusively with the fingers of the hands. In this case, the movement of the fingers must be started from the spinal column to the periphery.
- Movements should be smooth and light, without force. It is very important not to make sudden movements and not to rush.
An example of classic self-massage might look like this:
- Warm up the skin with rubbing and stroking movements.
- After that, being in a sitting position, you need to carry out smooth stroking with your hands in the area of the lesion with osteochondrosis.
- Light finger movements and stroking should be done for 3 minutes.
These procedures must be performed daily during the entire course of osteochondrosis treatment. If possible, a family member can do the massage, but it is very important that the minimum force of movements is applied.
Another method of dealing with osteochondrosis is remedial gymnastics. This procedure is mandatory for home treatment as it helps to strengthen the muscles of problem areas. Performing exercises, the patient's muscles tense and relax, creating the necessary load on problem areas.
Important!All exercises should be done at a slow pace, otherwise exercise therapy can be harmful.
Slow turns of the head to the sides are most effective for the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis. Depending on the affected area, exercises can be used to strengthen the muscles of the upper and lower extremities. And with the help of hand movements in the shoulder joint, the tension of the cervical muscles is noticeably reduced.
For the correct compilation of a set of exercises for the treatment of osteochondrosis, you must contact a specialist. He will select a complex to tell and show which of the exercises will be the most effective for each individual case, because depending on the affected area, certain muscle groups must be involved. It is very important to follow the doctor's instructions so that the treatment is beneficial and not harmful to your health. In the event of painful sensations during gymnastics, you should stop the exercises and inform the specialist so that he corrects the set of exercises. To get the maximum effect, regardless of the complexity of the case, in addition to gymnastics, you need to use an applicator, do self-massage and use drugs for the treatment of osteochondrosis.
When osteochondrosis is diagnosed, a neurologist prescribes complex therapy. Home treatment is alternated with physiotherapy, massage, injection and medication. Exercise therapy specialists strongly recommend not to be limited to bed rest, even during periods of exacerbation of osteochondrosis. What's more, they claim that some exercise can help relieve pain as well as drugs.
It should be noted that the modern approach to the treatment of osteochondrosis differs from the methods used several decades ago. Patients practice relaxation and meditation practices to relieve stress. Not only a neurologist, but also a psychotherapist deals with the treatment of the disease.
Here are some tips to help alleviate osteochondrosis:
- It is worth strengthening the muscles of the back and abs, they will create a kind of supporting frame. To do this, you need to do daily stretching and flexibility exercises. It is also important to monitor your posture while working or walking.
- Everyone should choose the correct sleeping position in which the spine is as relaxed as possible. If a person sleeps on his back, then it is useful to put an additional pillow under his feet in the knee area. Lying on your side, squeeze it between your thighs.
- In order to get rid of osteochondrosis, therapy alone is not enough. Doctors recommend giving up smoking and alcohol, which destroy joint tissue. It is also worth maintaining a healthy weight.