When moving, do you feel the sharp pain that forms in the knee joint? Are the same signs observed if you bend or unbend your leg? Doctors diagnose a disease such as arthrosis. At the same time, it is impossible to delay the treatment of the disease.
Take note of the fact that the sooner you start taking effective measures, the faster you will cope with the disease, and the outcome of the disease will not be as dramatic. It is impossible to start the disease itself, because with it the intra-articular cartilage wears out.
Arthrosis of the knee is also referred to as gonarthrosis. In terms of the incidence of the disease, it occupies a leading position. Statistics have shown that there are more patients with this diagnosis in clinics than people with other serious diseases. As for the treatment, it takes an impressive amount of time. An integrated approach and the use of drugs are important here.
The disease is characterized by calcification in soft tissues and ligaments, as well as in places where tendons are fixed. Salt deposits are limited. The process is characterized by an imbalance in the optimal blood circulation in the bone vessels, which provoke changes in the cartilage tissues.
Causes of occurrence
Pathological microtrauma that form on the cartilage. The main causes of the onset of the disease include excessive mechanical stress on the surface of the cartilage.
In other words, arthrosis of the knee joint develops rapidly in those who are subject to frequent physical exertion and overstrain of the joints. Osteoarthritis can develop in those who often squat. The magnitude of the load increases rapidly if a person is overweight.
The main causes of arthrosis of the knee joint should be highlighted:
- Chronic defects. Dysplasia affects the formation of chronic microtrauma of the cartilage. This factor leads to an imbalance in the correct load on the joints. Take note that the risk of developing a terrible disease increases in people with defects in the musculoskeletal system.
- Obesity. This factor is the main reason for the development of arthrosis. It has been clinically proven that overweight people are more likely to get sick. Thus, every 6 kg. weight increase the possibility of developing arthrosis by 45%.
- Genetic predisposition. The fact that arthrosis of the interphalangeal joints occurs much more often in women than in men has been proven. This indicator is explained by autosomal dominant inheritance.
- Inflammation. The fact is that infectious and chronic arthritis provoke the formation of arthrosis. The emergence of immunoglobulins indicates the role of similar factors in the development of arthrosis.
- Neurogenic disorders. Violations provoke a decrease in the tone of the muscles that are located near the joint. Thus, the load on the joints only increases.
Knee arthrosis symptoms
The main symptoms of arthrosis include sharp pains that are observed in the knee joint. They appear during exertion, and then disappear again, provided that the patient is at rest.
With nodular arthrosis, dense formations appear that are about the size of a pea. In addition, seals in the form of cysts, viscous liquids, may appear near the nail bed.
If the knee joints are affected during the development of the disease, then the pain increases with prolonged walking or climbing stairs. The main symptom of arthrosis is crunching during movement. With hip arthrosis, pathologies associated with the development of the hip joint are observed.
- knee pain that does not go away for a long time
- if you undergo an X-ray examination, then osteophytes are found.
- when taking analysis for synovial fluid, it is confirmed that the composition is indeed characteristic of the disease.
- The disease is characterized by the fact that the joint space is narrowed.
- joint stiffness in the morning
- changes in soft tissues, osteoporosis and calcification of cartilage.
Optional signs: these are subluxations or dislocations, as well as various erosions and cysts. In total, arthrosis of the knee joint is divided into three stages of development, which we will consider below.
Recognizing the first degree is quite problematic. An interesting fact is that a person also moves as usual for him, however, sometimes the disease can manifest itself in the form of pain and stiffness.
But such signs are often attributed to a change in weather or an uncomfortable position. And even if you go through the study by means of an X-ray, the imperfection cannot be immediately noticed. Here you will need qualified help, as well as palpation and a full examination, which will help to detect an uneven surface in the area of the affected joint.
People with disabilities turn to traditional medicine as their first aid. And this is a competent approach to solving the problem, because at the initial stage, the disease is difficult to treat.
In the event that, having noticed the first signs of the disease, you did not take action, then it tends to go into the second. In this case, arthrosis is chronic, and the cartilage begins to deteriorate rapidly.
These signs are especially noticeable with increased physical exertion. However, it makes no sense to give preference to traditional medicine. However, it can be used as an effective adjunct to conventional treatments.
Arthrosis of the knee joint and its symptoms begin to manifest themselves more and more: unreasonable fatigue appears, and the joints of the legs begin to "ache", and after a while crunches occur. If the disease is left untreated, it leads to joint deformation.
It also happens that, observing obvious changes, the patient still does not take action, while the mechanisms that work against him begin to actively start. Meanwhile, inaction provokes irreparable consequences.
It is also noteworthy that severe pain occurs in the joint. This factor does not depend on whether you are in action or at rest. There are also cases when the joints do not allow a person to move.
Knee arthrosis treatment
Therapy for arthrosis is a very long process, and will primarily depend on the degree to which the disease is.
Basically, the treatment of arthrosis of the knee is based on the following stages:
- Anesthetize the affected joint. As a rule, the doctor prescribes pain relievers - analgesics.
- The inflammation should be eliminated. In the event that inflammation is indicated on the affected area, as well as swelling, then such a defect should be immediately eliminated. In this case, anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed.
- Cartilage tissue restoration. This is considered to be the most important factor in treatment. In the event that it cannot be reconstructed, then it is imperative to stop the degenerative course. You should not expect instant action from drugs, but they must be taken based on individual characteristics.
If the joint is affected by the absence of symptoms, then in this case the patient will be prescribed effective ointments with a warming effect. Their main purpose is to increase blood circulation in the affected area.
These include warming ointments that have no side effects. The treatment is accompanied by a pleasant sensation of warmth.
Prevention of arthrosis of the knee joint
It is subdivided into secondary and primary.
The first focuses on weight control and injury prevention. The likelihood of developing arthrosis can be reduced by wearing the right footwear and regularly doing exercises that work to strengthen muscles and support joints.
Secondary prevention involves eating healthy foods, and red meat and animal-based foods are best replaced with lean fish and poultry. Try to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and as a preventive measure - capsules containing fish oil. Drink at least 8-9 glasses of water.
Focus on minerals and vitamins that promote optimal bone function. Also recognized as your allies are antioxidants, which actively fight free radicals that destroy cartilage. Arthrosis is a disease that does not tolerate amateurs, so you need to seek help from an experienced doctor.