Osteochondrosis is one of the most common problems associated with back disease.
This ailment means a change in the internal shape of the spine, as well as a decrease in the plasticity of the discs located between the vertebrae, during which there are disorders associated with cell nutrition.
The lumbar spine suffers the most, since it is this part of the spine that takes on most of the load. When you lift heavy objects, all the force your body is exposed to is directed to the distance between the vertebrae, which leads to compression of the nerve roots. That is why there are problems and pains associated with lumbar osteochondrosis.
Causes of lumbar osteochondrosis
These reasons can occur even in the younger generation, especially if there are various types of problems associated with the musculoskeletal system. These include:
- birth defects, for example, different lengths of the limbs;
- flat feet of various types and stages;
- changes in the shape of the spinal column (scoliosis);
- change in the location of the lumbar vertebra, which can slide off the sacrum in different directions.
These diseases have the ability to have a negative impact on the spine, cause violations of its functions. Often doctors have the opinion that lumbar osteochondrosis can occur at the genetic level. For example, if your parents suffered from this disease, then there is a high probability that their child will also suffer from such diseases of the spinal column.
In addition, the most well-known cause of the disease is hard physical labor. Indeed, when lifting objects that are too heavy, there is a large load on the lumbar spine, which leads to its violation.
The next cause of lumbar osteochondrosis is obesity. Extra pounds, like ballast, accumulate on the body and in the body, having a negative effect on the spine and vertebrae, causing heaviness and pain during movement. If at first glance it seems to you that a violation of the shape of the spine will not lead to negative consequences, then you are greatly mistaken. This problem leads to wear of the discs located between the vertebrae, which leads to the further development of osteochondrosis. Therefore, it is imperative to monitor the condition of your body and prevent an excess of body fat in it. Fatty tissue interferes with movement, adding additional stress to your muscles, joints, ligaments, and spinal column.
Another not a little-known cause of spinal column disease is back injury. Impacts, bruises, lifting of heavy loads and shells in athletes who are not prepared for such loads have a negative effect on the back. Injury to any of the spinal sections may lead to negative consequences in the future, for example, osteochondrosis of the spinal column.
And the most popular cause of back diseases is, as everyone knows, an inactive lifestyle, when most of the time a person spends sitting in one place, without playing sports and stretching. Most often this applies to people who work in offices or simply like to be in one place for a long time without movement, do not play sports or stretching. To maintain a healthy back and spine (and the whole body in general), you need adequate physical activity. If you move a little and constantly sit, then this can lead to impaired blood circulation in the body. Because of this factor, back pain occurs, the body does not receive all the nutrients, a weakening of the spinal column and many other diseases occur.
A healthy lifestyle is one of the postulates of healthy blood vessels and joints. Take time to exercise regularly and your body will respond positively to it.
Diseases caused by infections, or inflammatory processes in the body negatively affect the bone tissue and the condition of the ligaments, which can lead to weakening of the vertebrae. Most of all loads are taken by the lumbar region, which can lead to a change in the shape of the vertebrae.
Stress also causes pain in the spinal column, especially in women, as they experience feelings and emotions more strongly. Stress negatively affects the health of the body as a whole, its nervous system. Against the background of stress, various types of diseases, including lumbar osteochondrosis, can worsen and become inflamed.
Help!You must carefully monitor your nerves and avoid situations associated with irritation or negative emotions.
Symptoms of lumbar osteochondrosis
It is very difficult to identify the disease in the initial stage. Most diseases are asymptomatic, however, everyone is able to feel non-standard sensations in the body. Therefore, it is extremely important to determine the first symptoms of spinal disease. Pains come gradually, you need to be able to correctly identify them and contact a specialist in a timely manner, because in the early stages it is easiest to cure the disease.
Most symptoms share a single characteristic:
- Pain in the lumbar region. In total, two types are distinguished: neurogenic pain and muscle pain. The intervertebral disc itself does not feel pain, since it does not contain nerve endings. Painful sensations occur as a result of the destruction of the nerve root discs that emerge from the opening between the vertebrae.
- The pain is too sharp, as if shooting. A person grasps the lower back, and is unable to straighten out because of fear of feeling pain again. Such pain occurs as a result of swelling of the nerve root, which does not have enough space to stay.
- In addition, pain is caused by swelling in the back muscles. With edema, there is a problem with the delivery of glucose and air to the muscle fibers of the back. This is why the muscles get stressed. They experience starvation, and also have the ability to remove lactic acid from the fibers that have formed in them during muscle activity. Therefore, the muscle undergoes contraction, which causes pain and spasm. The person feels pain, stiffness and uncomfortable sensations in the back and lower back.
- Since the disc has the ability to squeeze the motor root, an attack of paresis or paralysis is possible. There may be a feeling of weakness in the limbs, which contributes to a violation of the gait.
- Muscle wasting may occur, in which one of the limbs decreases in volume. Feelings of numbness of the legs, goose bumps also arise, the growth of stripes and nails on the limbs is disturbed.
Scoliosis can lead to serious consequences, including injury and disruption of internal organs.
So, here are the general signs and symptoms of lumbar osteochondrosis disease:
- radicular pain;
- muscle pain in the back;
- movement disorders;
- limb sensitivity disorder;
- creepy sensations, numb legs, cessation of growth of hair and nail plate.
Overweight is another enemy of your joints and spine.
If your muscle corset is not sufficiently strengthened, the joints will take the load on themselves, which will lead to their injury.
These symptoms are the main ones, however, it must be answered that there are also individual symptoms that do not occur in every patient. They depend on the individual characteristics of the person and are the most difficult to identify or define.
Stages of lumbar osteochondrosis
The disease develops in four stages.
First stage- the initial stage of the disease. With her, the patient has pain in the lower back, as well as spasms of her swelling in this area of the spine. Paying attention to the symptoms and seeing a specialist in time can help prevent further back problems. At this stage, the treatment is carried out quite easily and quickly, allowing you to get rid of problems and pain in the back.
Second stage- at this stage, the pains become more constant and severe than in the first. In the joints and ligaments of the spinal column, sensations of unusual mobility may appear, as a result of which pain sensations intensify, become sharper and more noticeable. Painful feelings are caused by the contraction of the sciatic nerve. In some cases, violations of the internal organs of a person are possible. It is imperative to consult a specialist for the correct selection of treatment.
Third stage- at this stage, hernias between the vertebrae are already formed. The spinal column begins to bend, changing its shape in different directions (scoliosis, lordosis and other diseases of the spinal column are formed). Painful sensations are constant, sharp and tormenting a person. The full value of life becomes problematic, as a person is constantly constrained by pain. Treatment at this stage may be delayed, as the disease begins to progress.
Stage Fouris the most difficult stage. Back pain is regular, sometimes even constant. A person cannot fully move, the pain hinders movement. If the treatment was not prescribed on time, the patient may remain disabled.
Treatment of lumbar osteochondrosis disease
The treatment of this disease is very complex. Comprehensive treatment is needed. It includes:
- treatment with drugs;
- adherence to a therapeutic diet;
- for serious stages of the disease - surgical intervention;
- performing special physical activities selected by the attending physician.
To reduce swelling in the muscles of the back, a diet that does not contain salt is required, as it retains water in the body. In case of illness, it is necessary to use a special orthopedic corset to maintain the muscles in the desired position.
Use of special ointments and plasters that have a warming effect. However, it is worth remembering that if inflammatory processes occur in your body, the use of warming drugs is unacceptable, as this will increase the symptoms of inflammation.
Acute pain is treated with intramuscular injections prescribed by the attending physician. If the pain is severe and unbearable, then it is possible to use intramuscular anesthetic drugs.
Physiotherapy is a painless process of accelerating the treatment of lumbar osteochondrosis. Do not forget that the treatment should be comprehensive and under the supervision of the attending physician.
Physiotherapy is a must in the treatment of lumbar osteochondrosis. It is carried out in medical institutions. Physical activity is carried out after preliminary warming up of the patient's muscle tissue.
The main principle of treatment is movement to tone muscle fibers. It is imperative to restore the motor function of muscle tissue so that there is a full range of motion. Most often, in the early stages, osteochondrosis is treated for several weeks. In advanced stages with severe pain and symptoms, treatment may be delayed. That is why it is very important to pay attention to painful sensations in the back area in time and consult a specialist.
Important!The sooner you start treatment, the faster you will be able to defeat the disease.
Prevention of lumbar osteochondrosis
Prevention of this disease will never be superfluous.
Please follow these guidelines to avoid this problem:
- Keep cool, dress for the weather to keep your back healthy.
- Avoid lifting heavy loads. If you need to move heavy items, carry them in your backpack. Untrained athletes are strongly advised not to immediately pounce on heavy working weights.
- Avoid falling on your back, especially in winter when it is icy. Any kind of back injury leads to her illnesses.
- Drink plenty of clean water and other liquids.
- Keep yourself in shape so that excess weight does not cause this kind of disease.
- Exercise and stretch your muscle fibers on a regular basis.
- Stretch your back muscles. You can hang from the bar or go swimming in the pool.
- Get medical examinations regularly. You can do a spinal x-ray or MRI to monitor the condition and health of your back.
Hyperextension Back Extension is a great way to strengthen the muscles that support the spine.
If you follow these simple guidelines, you can avoid back problems, including lumbar osteochondrosis. If you suddenly feel unusual sensations in your back, then you should immediately contact your doctor.
Monitor your back and spinal column health to avoid problems and diseases associated with them. To do this, you need moderate physiotherapy exercises, which will help tone the muscles, as well as prevent a number of diseases that occur in various parts of the back. If pain of various types is detected, it is necessary to contact a specialist in a timely manner in order to consult and get the correct and correct decision, because in the early stages the disease is easily treatable. Do not run yourself and your health, as your life and freedom of movement depend on your back health when performing standard activities in everyday life.
We hope the article was useful for you, you learned new points about lumbar osteochondrosis, and now you can avoid this problem. Be healthy and take care of yourself, because a healthy back ensures the health of the whole body, a long and happy life without pain!